Summer is definitely here ! One of the most common activity we do around this time is spending our days outdoors most especially swimming in the pool or going to the beach. So it’s always important for us parents to know the safety measures to keep our kids safe around the water. Drowning is the leading cause of death among children, including infants and toddlers. It is important to know that a child can drown even in one inch of a water.
Water Safety Essential for Kids.
- Learn how to swim – this is very important even at a very young age. If they are still babies or toddlers, it makes them feel comfortable in the water and then after age 4 they should already know how to swim and even if they already knew, they still need to be supervise. Drowning is quick and silent, base on my research “Once a child’s head goes underwater, it only takes a few minutes for her heart to stop and brain damage to occur,” says pediatrician Gary Smith, M.D., director of the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio.
- Learn CPR – always important to know CPR to be fully prepared for emergencies and always have your phone right next you.
- Wear a life jacket – when your kids don’t know how to swim yet, always have them wear a life jacket. Don’t rely on floaties or just arm floats. It’s not good enough. When they are in a boat or jetski, always have them wear a jacket even if they know how to swim.
- Supervise – kids needed to supervise no matter how young or old they are, even if they already know how to swim. Kids are kids, they play around the pool. It’s better to be safe.
- Avoid swimmers ears by using ear plugs or teach your child to turn his head from side to side and pull the earlobe in different directions to drain the water out. Some kids are very prone to swimmers ears, some are not.It’s important for them to know just in case they get swimmers ears.
- Teach your child not to swallow water or swim water in his mouth. That’s the number one cause of dry drowning when water gets in the mouth, then into the lungs.
I hope i got everything covered here, the most important thing is to be educated because it’s a very important issue that needs to address.
Today, I’m giving you an amazing giveaway courtesy of Goldfish Swimschool! They would like to offer one Goldfish Swim School Jump Start Clinic to a lucky reader. Goldfish Swim School’s exclusive Jump Start Clinics allow you to fast-track your child’s progress in just one week of lessons, and they’re a great way to experience what Goldfish Swim School is all about. GSS’s Jump Start Clinics have an approx. $100 value depending on session date and location. Read more about Jump Start Clinics here